Friday, July 7, 2017

Creative Children and Their Unusual Habits

 
 copyright 2017 WorldofWriterMom/mbvrodriguez

Having creative children can be a blessing.  It can also leave you exhausted as question marks dance over your head. There are so many reasons to appreciate children who can entertain themselves. Yet there are moments that make me want to run screaming from the apartment, throw myself onto the nearest patch of lawn, and grab onto the blades of grass as I cry into their earthy aroma.  (I have no idea where they inherited their sense of drama and exaggeration.)


 copyright 2017 WorldofWriterMom/mbvrodriguez


Here's a sampling of evidence that indicates my children are creative, possess boredom survival skills, and will become productive members of society.   



My List of 5


1. Blanket Forts involve reconfiguration of the living room furniture, design meetings, consultations, using a variety of materials to hold the fort together, and every available blanket/pillow/comforter/towel on stand by.  Construction is an all day project that results in children falling asleep inside the final product.  It cannot be deconstructed right away, and the fort transforms into a multitude of interesting properties throughout it's life span. (Life span contingent upon mother's ability to ignore the clutter, navigate the dangerous terrain, and avoid the sensory overload that usually accompanies such endeavors.)




2.  The number of collections a child can begin and sustain is beyond comprehensive once you're past the age of thirty.  


  Graphic Attributed to: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/62/52/52/62525206e89e1264402bce70b32c3bc5--rainbow-quote-rainbow-rocks.jpg

 
Collections might include:
  • Rocks/Pebbles/Pieces of Concrete/Sand/Shells
  • Sticks/Leaves/Tree bark/Branches of varying lengths
  • Papers/Stickers/Gum wrappers/Empty containers
  • Comic Books
  • Empty glue sticks
  • Broken crayons and Pens without tops
  • The never ending Legos (mostly in a storage container) but often found in strange places around the house.
  • Empty toilet paper rolls


Clean up day is always a blast.  It's best to do the mom clean up when the kids are not present.  It's hard enough to keep a straight face when they complain that their beloved collection of  ants have disappeared.  (This actually was a collection my sister had when we were kids.  She used pieces of tape to collect her ants, attached them to index cards, and labeled them with names like Andy Ant and Ant Annie.  We saw them in her jewelry box.)

 
Graphic Attributed to: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwil97iXgffUAhWZ3oMKHd7yD1IQjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.carcanyon.com%2Fcartoon-ants-marching_7XrJncGVun4u50STxMtYGn58A8uGMh7fCL28wsFzs*0%2F&psig=AFQjCNGVA1oapCZByD0dokdsw0eBHzOBCw&ust=1499511188146258





3. It is quite common to find random screws, bolts, nails, and staples embedded in the carpet, under furniture, and scattered around the bedroom.  So many projects to take apart and try to reconstruct and so little interest in making sure all the pieces get put back together.  (But I'm ok with that.  I try to look at it as a learning experience.)  They learn how things work and operate and I learn how much it hurts to have a staple stuck into my big toe.




4. My children are all learning how to cook and can already prepare a few meals.  They can make eggs, sandwiches, quesadillas, and several other simple items.  It's always interesting when I come home to find that the ground beef I had planned to use for a dinner casserole was already gone after one of the kids decided to fry up some hamburgers instead.  Once, my son decided to surprise me by baking a cake.  He left it in the oven and forgot about it while he left to meet a friend.  I came home just in time to remove a very hard brick of cake from an even greater disaster.  



5. It's not unusual at all for me find that my supply of tape, glue, paper, crayons, paint, and notebooks has been depleted or not in their designated home.  Scissors go missing and no matter how many I have, you can be sure I will not find any of them when it's my turn to need them.  Craft items have to remain hidden.  (I have my own set of colored pencils in my underwear drawer.)  The frustrating part is when I forget where I hid them.  We once waited almost a year before I located some "hidden" art materials.



Although there are times when I just want peace, quiet, and a clean house, I find myself smiling and encouraged by the many ways my children surprise me with their ingenuity.  Sometimes messy and chaotic means that minds are engaged and bodies are occupied.  And I'll take that over fighting, arguing, and unhappy children any day.



Hope your week has gone well and your home has come out of it relatively intact.  I'd love to hear how your children challenge their creativity and push the limits of your sanity in the process of occupying their time.



Kindest Regards,
Mary
World of Writer Mom









No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo

I have over 20 years of experience in Early Childhood Development Birth-Age 5 including work in classrooms and as an Infant/Toddler Program Manager.  I have several writing projects in progress including a resource book for parents of infants and infant room teachers in a full day child development (school) program.  The book will provide families with information about what to expect and how to monitor their child's progress in an Infant room.  My second book project involves how to cope with family challenges, lessons in forgiveness, dealing with a spouse's addiction, and reinventing yourself along the way.  I am excited about all of these projects and am currently accepting comments regarding experiences my readers have had placing their child into a full day child care program.  I would also like to hear from Infant room teachers.